From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionar...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Bryan Smart
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 2:41 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Apple regulating news and political content???

While I agree with your FSF software freedom philosophies in general, the
reality is that, had the iPhone and iPad been free/open, it wouldn't be as
stable or as accessible.

Apple has lots of technology related rules about how you can develop your
program. While there are lots of rules about what you can't do, and what
tools and techniques you can't use, they all stem from people wanting to
build software in a way that goes against Apple's design for the
iPhones/iPads. Apple's design is to have a platform that is stable, that is
free from rogue software, and that is intuitive and consistently operated.
Your software is intended to be written in C, C++, or ObjectC, and isn't
intended to use APIs that are any higher or lower level than the Foundation
and UI kit frameworks. That isn't some plan to ruin your business
possibilities or shut down your freedom. That is a deliberate decision that
is intended to avoid the traps that most other smartphones and PDAs have
fallen in to. The I devices have been successful specifically because of
this approach.

I think that we had a discussion about iPhone/iPad development languages
here already. The reasons for requiring C/C++/ObjectC are because of
performance. The I devices use a 1Ghz or less processor with practically no
cache memory and a slow memory controller. They have way less computational
power than a 1Ghz desktop processor. They would be terrible at running
interpreted run-times for high level languages. The lack of interpreted
run-times is why the I devices seem to run so much faster than the Android
devices, which have practically all of their applications written in Java.

Another problem with run-times is that Apple would become dependent on them
for the software that they host. if Apple needs to change a small part of
the Foundation or UI kit frameworks in an OS update, then this would only
break the few apps that used those features, and only until they could be
updated. If a change like that broke a run-time, Apple would be blocked by
Adobe or another run-time provider until they could update their run-time.
We know how eager Adobe hasn't been to do anything about flash on the Mac
desktop. I suppose that this, among other lessons, taught Apple that they
can't afford to be ignored by a 3rd party developer.

Even if the problem with updating run-times didn't exist, run-times would
make the accessibility situation worse for us. As things stand today, if you
want to create an app for an I device, you must create it from scratch,
targeted specifically to the I device, and must use Apple's standard APIs.
If Apple permitted high level languages and frameworks, then we'd have a lot
of apps that were simply ports from other platforms with a user interface
proxy layer to get their existing user interface to display on the I device.
These attempts, no matter the platform, seem to always be profound hacks.
The resulting interface never quite works like a native app's interface, and
the accessibility is almost universally poor to nonexistent. It's no
surprise, since, instead of having to use Apple APIs to do things like
create a window and populate it with user interface objects, the developer's
proxy layer is just as likely to create a window with a canvas object and
directly draw their entire interface in to this single object. For sighted
people, this means that the interface of these apps won't work as they
expect. For blind people, it means that the app won't talk. Since I device
apps must be written specifically for the I devices, and since the native UI
objects have accessibility support inherently included, we get a fair amount
of accessibility to an app, even if the developer didn't make any specific
effort to make their app accessible. On my Symbian devices, there are lots
of cross-platform apps that bypass the native user interface support, and do
things their own way. That's partly why we have practically no accessible
Symbian apps when compared to what is available on the I devices. The
situation is very much the same on Windows Mobile.

Finally, Apple does compel you to use their compiler and dev tools, true.
However, this isn't a play for your money, as everything, from the compiler,
to the IDE, to the emulator, to the SDK are available for free. Forcing all
apps to be built with their compiler means that they can adjust
optimizations to code compilation in one place, and all apps will benefit.
Since everyone will be building from their SDK app templates in Xcode, this
decreases the likelihood that noobie developers will bork a compile flag and
cause a performance problem or conflict.

As for code signing and the app store, I like this the least, but I
understand that it's necessary for security and ease of software
distribution.

When it comes to security, you'll never see any substantial malware or
viruses on an I device, as, once an app like that is discovered, Apple can
pull the plug on it everywhere. Further, you can't just be some anonymous
developer of some freeware app and sneak malware on to I devices like that,
since you must register for a developer certificate from Apple. A developer
is far less likely to break the law if it is quite easy to discover who they
are and prosecute them.

For software distribution, the app store is great. In exchange for a small
fee, Apple helps people easily discover your app, pay you for it, and
install it on their device. Anyone with a finger and a brain can find and
install your app, even if they don't know squat about computers. Contrast
that to how things are on a desktop, where they'd need to get a link from
someone to a sight where they can purchase your app, fill out an order form
or open a PayPal account/transfer money to purchase the app, download the
app from your site, potentially unzip/decompress it, transfer it to/install
it on their device, get an activation code out of e-mail, and input that in
to the software. Besides being time-consuming, there are huge segments of
the population that have no idea how to do such things. If you force them to
know that stuff in order to buy from you, you've dramatically shrunk your
potential market down to only computer-literate people, rather than anyone
with an I device.

Even if most people can struggle through this task, they're still going to
e-mail you for technical support with "how do I unzip a file? how do I
download? The download link didn't work. I tried to connect my I device to
transfer the app, but I got an error 22134 no data connection present error?
The code that you sent me didn't work. I never got the code. Or similar."
The app store gets rid of all of that. Finding, purchasing, and installing
is brain-dead simple. And, if they need to reformat their device, the app
store knows that they own the app, so will let them re-install. They won't
be e-mailing you on a quest for help downloading and installing the app
again, or getting you to look up their activation code because they can't
find it. Apple's little fee they charge, and the app store approval
headaches, are so worth not having to worry about all of this end-user
support junk. All you have to do is to code and test. If you code to Apple's
user interface guidelines, you usually don't even need to document, since it
will be obvious to people how to operate your app.

Finally, the locked down nature of the I devices, and the code signing,
means that the I devices have really good copy protection. There is no 100%
perfect copy protection, but the I devices are damn close. Since most
everyone that uses your app will have paid for your app, since you won't
need to spend your own money licensing copy protection, and since you don't
need to spend time paying for people to handle support, or else wasting your
own time handling support, you can actually afford to charge little prices
like $5, and actually make enough money to make the time spent programming
worth it. If you had to handle distribution, payment processing, and
support, if you had to license copy protection tech, if you had to do any of
those things the app store does for you, you'd need to increase your prices
just to cover those costs.

I think that the rules regarding app approval need to be more clear than
they are now, and less subject to whim, but I don't begrudge them the
technical limitations. The other smartphone/PDA manufacturers that are still
working under the older approach of letting people write software any sloppy
and hacked way that they want, letting anyone install anything that they'd
like, and forcing people to know about download links/activation codes/etc
in order to install apps have devices that aren't as stable and don't have
nearly as much quality software.

I learned to program on an Apple II, where we had complete hardware
specifications and detailed firmware references and disassemblies. I
obviously liked to tinker. Today, though, it is more important to me to have
hardware and software that I can depend on to operate correctly. With the
spammers, hackers, and hordes of third-rate software developers out there,
it is looking more and more obvious that, without technological
restrictions, those people will continue to, through malice or neglect, use
our open computing platforms against us. Unless you want to learn a lot
about working on a computer, which most people don't care about at all, a
device with technical restrictions that serve as security and quality
control barriers is a far more preferable choice. People that aren't
computer-literate are a majority of the population. I think that they're
going to eat up devices like the iPad. Very soon, the technical people on
their general purpose computers may find themselves to be in the minority.

Bryan