When I go to the google search page, which is my home page, I always land right
in the edit field into which one types search terms. So I think you might be
onto something with your theory that having Safari set to read pages
automatically could be causing the VO cursor not to land directly in that edit
field. As for the other things, not being able to hit a specific key and go
directly to various types of elements, having come from Windows, I still have
to say I prefer that more direct way over the rotor. But you can set up numpad
commander to have single key access to things, so that helps. Web pages also
load a lot faster on my Mac than they do on my Windows pc, some times, a lot
faster, which is a time saver.

mary