Hi mIke, this happened since 10.6.4.  What you could try doing is shift-tabbing
away from the message content area,  ,  and then tabbing back to it.  Like some
 here, I don't like using  the preview pane, mainly because of the  fact that
when I'm going through messages in the messages table, they're immediately
marked as read after  I've simply VO down arrowed   past them, and I don't like
that.    .    .