I'm writing to share my experiences with Digit-Eyes.

I tried it on my iPhone 4, with several bar codes, and it didn't recognize even
one of them. I don't mean that the code was located, but not recognized. I mean
that the code was not even detected as being in the image. I'd tap the scan
button, and the constant clicking would begin to let me know that scanning was
in progress. I was scanning in a brightly lit room, and the screen curtain was
not on. Rotating the containers in front of the iPhone camera, with it held
about a foot away from them, produced no results. I had a sighted friend
deliberately place the bar code in view, something that I would have not been
able to do on my own, and it wasn't recognized, either. We just kept trying
different angles, and rotating, but all we got was more clicking from the
Digit-Eyes scanner.

I had some experience with creating a system like this several years ago. At
that time, CCD cameras were not as accurate. Even so, for best results, we
determined that a 3D laser scanner would be required in order for bar codes to
be detected in the way that a blind person is likely to present them to the
scanner: at angles, in shadow, etc. This is the technique used by other
commercial systems like the ID Mate. I was lead to understand that this wasn't
a concern with Digit-Eyes, due to the higher quality camera in the iPhone 3GS
and iPhone 4. However, based on my results, I'd say that this isn't so.

Perhaps Digit-Eyes works better with dedicated labels, but, if I were to make
dedicated labels, I'd just create Braille labels. I realize that everyone
doesn't read Braille, and so audio labels still might be of use to some people.
However, the advertised function of being able to read bar codes seems to not
work, or else, it might work, but requires a level of alignment precision that
I've not been able to achieve. I'm usually quite capable when it comes to
reasoning through these types of situations, so my conclusion is that I've
either overlooked something profound, or else the level of alignment that is
required for a good scan is grater than most blind people will independently
obtain without assistance. If you need assistance, you might as well ask the
sighted person what is on the label. *shrug*

I'd like to hear the experiences of others. However, I can't personally suggest
that anyone spend the $30 that is charged for this app if they expect to use it
as a bar code scanner.

Bryan