Yes, I think this has been happening to me lately in iTunes and Safari. I'll be
working and Alex will be chattering away and all of a sudden he'll get quiet,
then after a few seconds VO announces "VoiceOver On."  I haven't gotten
proficient enough with VO to do any real customization, so I can't say if it is
resetting to defaults. I have a Macbook 2.4, Snow Leopard with all patches.
Also using Apple BT keyboard & Magic trackpad. I don't recall when it started
happening to me, but I've had this vague feeling that things haven't been quite
right since applying the 10.6.4 update.

Bryan