I think this is just a voiceover gremlin. :).  It strikes at unpredictable
intervals.  It hasn't happened to me in a very long time though. (knock on
wood)  I suggest exporting your VO settings and saving somewhere so if and when
it happens again, you can just import them back to voiceover and you won't be
so put out.

hth