From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [macvisionaries@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Krister Ekstrom [kris...@kristersplace.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:47 AM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Outspoken VS. VoiceOver

Hi,
I'm an old outspoken user, and i can say that for its time it was the best
screen reader i'd used on any platform, but then we'll have to remember that in
Sweden we only used one screen reader for Dos, and it could be quite cumbersome
to set up and so on. True enough we didn't have the control we have now, but
there were a lot of innovative techniques used that i miss to this day. As
there was no braille in the beginning, Outspoken used a pretty clever
implementation of sound to show you where the cursor was. I could go on and on
and on about this screen reader but just let me mention one thing more: You
didn't need to worry if the app was accessible or not, the only apps that
didn't work on the macs back then were the ones that were made in Hypercard. I
wonder if the apps were simpler back then?
/Krister