Everything boots up fast when it's new and doesn't have much stored on it.
But as time goes on, as you do more with it, it will eventually slow down.

-----Original Message-----
From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Buddy Brannan
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2011 8:51 AM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: macbook pro or macbook air?

That's not necessarily so. While you get more hard disk space and a faster
processor, the Pro is significantly thicker and heavier than the Air, and
boots up more slowly owing to still using a mechanical hard drive. I got to
play a bit with an Air last week, and the solid state drive really makes a
huge difference in how quickly things open. Safari just popped up instantly,
and I really do mean instantly. So if you don't have a lot of storage needs
to carry with you, and really need something light and very portable, the
Air may well be just what you need. Of course, if you need an everyday
machine for production and storing lots of stuff, an Air is definitely not a
good fit at all. I'd love to have an Air for a second machine, but I don't
think it would be appropriate as a primary machine. Yep, I do love my
Macbook Pro, but I showed remarkable restraint in not buying an Air.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY

On May 13, 2011, at 9:44 AM, Sarai Bucciarelli wrote:

> Hi:
> The Pro gives you more bang for your buck. Go with the Pro.
> On May 13, 2011, at 7:21 AM, Anne Robertson wrote:
>
>> Hello Steph,
>>
>> The MacBook Air has no DVD drive, no FireWire, just two USB ports. On the
plus side, it's incredibly thin and light.

>> If you have no other computer, the MacBook Pro is a much better machine,
and you can have a much bigger hard drive in it too.

>> I've just ordered a MacBook Air, but I already have a MacBook and a
MacBook Pro available to me, as well as several external hard drives of
various types.

>> It's all a matter of preference and needs.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Anne
>>

>> On 13 May 2011, at 13:26, Stephanie Mitchell wrote:
>>
>>> What are the differences between these two machines? My macbook pro I'd
had for 2 years.  The kids spilt something on it, and the apple retrailer
said it's not repaira.  So i'm in the market for a new machine.