From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Chris Westbrook
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2011 9:40 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Totally bizarre finding with Safari 5.1 in Lion

And in case anyone actually cares, this has nothing to do with vo or lion.  The
reason Jaws won't download on safari is that
by default, freedom scientific offers direct ftp links to their downloads and
safari apparently can't handle direct ftp
links.  If you REALLY want to download Jaws from a mac, FS offers a page for
http downloads.  Frankly, the whole item chooser
thing really doesn't bother me much as the web roder has always worked for me
and that is for the web.  I am glad I upgraded,
and I'm even getting used to the new mail.  I think we all just need to calm
down a bit.  As far as apple not caring, just
because they don't talk to us doesn't mean they don't care.  They don't talk to
anyone, it's as simple as that.  Missy, I
really hope you get your power situation straightened out, but I don't think
that is a lion issue either.  Calm down
everyone.  :)
Chris Westbrook

On Jul 22, 2011, at 9:29 PM, Matthew Campbell wrote:

> Hi guys.
> Just to add a little to what Carolyn said, it's been two days since Lion came
> out so don't expect these problems to just
magically go away.
> If they are making some of you guys that angry, switch back to SL. It can be
> done easily enough if you have a recent
backup.
> Email off list please if you need help doing this seeing as this is starting
> to become not VO related anymore.
> Thanks and for those that need too, chill!
>
> On 2011-07-22, at 9:16 PM, carolyn Haas wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris:
>> Do yourself and all of us a favor:
>> Step away from the computer and chill for a while before writing a pointless
>> rave like this.  No one really needs to hear
it.

>> On Jul 22, 2011, at 6:37 PM, Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:
>>
>>> Not exactly that anyone would really want! to download this, but, why in
>>> the heck is it, that if I go to either
>>>
>>> http://www.freedomscientific.com
>>>
>>> Or:
>>>
>>> http://www.hj.com
>>>
>>> Take your pick, for one, I am finding the item chooser stuff happening here
>>> as well, if you do vo+I then type d o w...
stick with me, it gets even weirder than item choser stuff... I'm just setting
some ground...  anyway, if you hit vo+i, then
do d o w, you won't get the downloads link, yet if you use vo+U and go to links
in the roter, then! do it, it works, then go
to jaws for windows screen reading software, then try to find the jaws 12
download link, if you hit vo+space on that link,
Safari says the page cannot be found.  Now, here's the weird part.  If I try
this from my xp pro sp3 machine with either I E,
or Firefox, then hit enter on the link, same network l A n, same public I P
address, same internet connection, etc. same d h
c p, same d n s, same router, nothing changes but the platform, the download
works like a charm!  Let me say this, no jokes.
I've had a really rough day, and quite frankly am not in the mood for the smart
mouth comments, like, well yeah, Jobs hates
FS so he blocked you from the site, or why would you compare jaws to VO, or
want to download the fish... you may have a
point, but no you really don't, OK.  This isn't about one screen reader being
better than another.  this is about the item
chooser, and the router, and the downloading in Safari consistently across many
pages be very inconsistently odd in behavior.
Take it as such.  If you can't offer anything resourcesful and just wanna throw
lookie jokes around, look, I'm not tonight as
I would normally be, in the mood for it.  OK?  Please, if you all test and find
the same thing, let me know.  I'd be
interested if anyone knows why the things in Safari have to be so d***
annoying.  I'm frustrated yes, the mods could say that
and that I need to chill, and I'm willing to, but people, come on!  I mean,
really, one could argue, I'm not the one who
decided to jup into Lion right away.  You're right.  Perhaps I jumped the gun
too soon.  But, that really isn't your right to
say.  The thing is, I'm getting more stressed with the Lion update by the
minute.  What ticks me off more though is Apple
doesn't seem to give a rat's butt one way or another, ar at least it doesn't
appear that way, but I'll explain more about
that in another more rellavant post.  It's making my experience though not very
enjoyable, I tell ya that! though.