wow, is that advisable.  Your restoring an OS configured on different hardware
to a different set of hardware and probably some driver differences.  Now, if
people tell me it works, great, but, I don't think it's recommended.

Personally, I used my external drive which had a complete backup of my MBP.
However, I simply copied the data folders over to the new drive replacing any
that had a conflict.  However, I didn't do anything with the OS files at all.