hi.
the best will be to start using the dummies books, and this is not
meant in any sarcastic manner. The reason might be  that the books if
there are any " have not checked" might explain in depth to you why
you are doing as you are.
also a little know how about C will not hurt you the smallest. :)
i wish you good luck.
best Sandi