I can think of 3 things.
1. check if you running low in your hard drive space.
If I get less than 50 Gb of hard drive my VO gets slow because I use loads of
applications running at once.
2. turn your activity monitor on and ask somebody to check who is taking the
most of your ram when vo gets quiet.
3. this must be really far off, but once I had so many attachments that when I
turned my mail on my vo got really slow. I had to clean like 20 gb of
attachments on my mail, but you are probably not data horder  like me. But just
in case.
HTH,
Rachel