Hello Steve,

With Mail in classic view and having got rid of the preview pane, the messages
appear as a list on the right-hand side of the screen, with the mailboxes as a
list on the left.

In Conversation view, you expand a thread by pressing right arrow and all the
messages in that thread appear below the first one. Left arrow collapses the
thread again.

To open a message you press Return and the message is read automatically. To
close a message, you press Cmd-w since opened messages appear each in their own
window.

If a message has been read, VO says nothingm, but it does say "Unread",
"Message was forwarded", etc.

This way of viewing mail could be what you're looking for.

Cheers,

Anne