I have another question for this subject; I thought I had read that
the modes (DOM or Groups) could be selected for each site you go to
and VO would remember that preference when you go back to a given
site.  Did I read this wrong? I do not observe that aspect to be
working on my setup.

The difference I see between DOM and Groups mode is quicker navigation
on those sites where several links are grouped into a single object.
This is especially nice with those navigation links so you don't have
to VO-Right for every single link.  But I have also run into
situations where groups are nested within groups which are also nested
in yet another group so I end up having to interact maybe 3 levels
down before I can get to focus on the desired link.  So it goes both
ways and I'm glad we have the choice.

As was answered, use the rotor to change to different navigation
levels like Character, Worde, Line, Form field, Heading, and several
others.