Parallels does the same thing as VMWare Fusion but has chosen to not make their UI accessible, even in the latest version. So VMWare is pretty much it. There is also the free VirtualBox software which does the same thing. It's UI is also not accessible but it does have a command-line interface you can use from Terminal to do a lot of things.

As you surmised, the virtualized Windows environment works just like a real Windows box, including susceptibility to viruses. So it can be a bit of an outlay of cash to set up a virtual machine by the time you buy a copy of Windows, Office and virus software. Still cheaper than a real PC but far from free. One advantage of the VMWare stuff is they use the same format for their various platforms, so you could copy your virtual machine to a Windows or Linux box and run it under VMWare there. It's also a nice way to test Windows stuff. You keep a clean install VMWare image and then make a copy to install something on. If it blows up you just throw the copy in the trash and make a new one. They also have something called Snapshots which lets you mark a point in time so you can revert back to it. Probably the more efficient way to do things rather than clone the whole VM file, but I've never got around to playing with it.

CB