From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Sean Murphy
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 4:18 AM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: VMWare Fusion questions

Hello to all.

I wish to clear up some possible misunderstandings that people have with the
virtualisation route.

Depending on available resources on your Mac will determine how to configure
the VMWare. If you have a Mac with 8gb of physical memory. VMWare states
only to use a maximum of 50% of the physical memory for the guess OS. This
is more then enough memory for a 64 bit OS which would be 4gb for the guess.
If you are planning to use a 32 bit OS, then I wouldn't allocate more then 3
gb of physical memory for a 8 gb PC. If you have 4gb physical RAM, then I
would use the rule of thumb of no more then 50% and allocate accordingly.

In relation to the virtual hard drive that you set up for the guess OS. This
is really up to you how much you allocate.  The rule of thumb I use is
around 40 to 50 gb. I generally find this is more then enough. I also
configure the VMWare to share the documents, desktop, music, etc between
Windows and the Mac. Again, I am reducing the amount of disk spaced used by
the Guess windows OS by doing this. So the virtual disk is allocated for
programs and those files needed by the app. The other tip is that I set up
my Mac user directory as a VMWare shared drive under windows. So it is
really easy to copy between both environments. Also you can launch your
window app from within the Mac  environment. For example, I can open the
word document within windows by opening it from the Mac. This is the true
power and flexibility of having windows in a virtual environment.

If you are having performance issues. It is a good starting point to find
out how much memory is being shared between the Mac and guess OS. How many
cores are being used. I find a max of 50% of the cores available is a good
guideline. EG: a duel core I would only allocate one. On my Mac Book Pro, I
have 4 cores, so I allocate 2. When allocating the virtual disks, I have
read somewhere that the 2gb files allocation reduces performance. When you
do allocate virtual disks, they will grow as you use it to the maximum
allocated.

In relation to authorisation of Jaws. This is a known problem with virtual
environments. It is one of those bugs that sit with the company who FS uses
to set up the authentication and VMWare. It isn't a FS issues per say,
rather it is their vendors problem who they use for the authentication. The
pro's and cons of having FS authentication is not a discussion for this
list.

I haven't had any problems with the authentication of Jaws. I even back up
the whole virtual directory on a periodic bases. So if the virtual guess
breaks, I can replace it with a known working version.

The other issues you have to be aware of is keyboard conflicts with Windows
and the Mac. Voice Over is very aggressive and doesn't like anyone else
using the Capslock key, control option together and any arrow key with the
function key. .  The Mac does not have any Insert key. So under windows, you
have to remap a Mac keyboard key to an insert. This is done by an program
called sharp keys. Another thing I am currently playing with is remapping
the Mac keys. I am planning to remap the right option  key to a right
control key. Under windows, I am going to remap the right control key to a
insert or caps lock. This will give me more flexibility with using Jaws
commands. This is a real pain and Apple needs to address the keyboard
conflict issue. Since if you use VMWare under windows. Once the control is
passed to the guess OS. Windows doesn't interfere with the keys at all.

One final point, if you turn off Voice Over, the cap lock issue doesn't
occur.

Sean