8GB is the max RAM you can put in (two 4GB RAM modules). OWC has a set for about $56 here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3

that would be my first thing to do. That minimizes the amount of virtual memory disk thrashing that goes on so it's one of the cheapest performance boosts. SSD or a bigger faster spinning hard drive is the next (and only) other performance boost you can do. OSX does a lot of disk read/write which will definitely be faster with SSD but at a cost. You can easily get a 750GB regular 2.5" hard drive for about $100 while a mere 64GB SSD starts at around $70 and 128GB at around $100. I find anything under 150GB to be too small with my itunes library and stuff so my lowest SSD drive today would be 256GB which start at around $180. I have a friend with a Macbook air with SSD and he can launch a virtual machine in 3-4 seconds. Nice. Of course for a mere $2500 you can get a 1TB SSD, but that's a bit extreme when a 600GB will cost you only $1000.

CB