I never used a password on a drive before. Did you ever try doing backups without a password? I used a WD MyBook 500GB to do backups for years before it became to small to use (after 4 years). So you would think WD would have a reasonably good chance of getting their newer devices right. I just wonder if the password stuff is interfering with the backups somehow.

CB