Harry,

Just to make sure that everything is set up properly on your external, try the
following:

• Connect the external HD to your Mac.
• Open Disk Utility.
• Select your drive from the list on the left.  Make sure that you select the
drive itself, not the formatted partition.  That is, select the one that reads
500 GB blah bla, not the one with the name you've given it.
• Select the Partition tab.
• Select one from the Partition layout pop-up.
• Give it a name.
• Make sure it's on MacOS Extended Journaled.
• Click on the Options button.
• Select the GUID Partition scheme.
• Click OK then Partition.
• As long as you're good with erasing everything on the disk, confirm
everything that needs confirmed.
• Let it do its thing then Quit Disk Utility.

If the HD is connected directly to your Mac, it should start the process fairly
quickly.  Depending on how much data is on your internal HD,, this could take
quite a while.  Everything should be automatic after the first one has been
completed.  If your external HD is connected to an Airport Extreme, then I
suggest that you use an ethernet cable for the initial backup then wireless
should be fine for all subsequent backups.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada