Hi Christine,

I read your original post again, and noted the mention of Java, which
is used by some banking sites.  Java is not installed by default under
Mountain Lion, and depending on whether you upgraded or performed a
clean install of ML you may have a version of Java that is not
compatible or needs to have a certificate deleted.  I'm not clear on
the details, because there are accessibility issues with running the
Java preferences application, so I can't easily check by looking at my
own setup. (We had to delete an old certificate for a Blackboard user
on another list, and use mouse keys to move to change the tabs).

One Apple discussion web site reported this recent exchange:
Installed  mountain lion but the web application I use for internet
banking requires java and there does not seem to be an update for java
in OSX ML
Reply:
Type "java" into spotlight. Make sure the check boxes are selected in
the java preferences.

The original poster stated this worked like a charm, but I have no
idea which check boxes are referred to given the accessibility issues
and the fact that I'm still running Lion.  The Spotlight instruction
is the way to launch java preferences.

HTH as a starting point. Cheers,

Esther