Hi,

Migration Assistant is a different kettle of fish.  Although, the basic answer
is yes, sort of.  Some complications will arise though if you are planning to
have the units tethered more or less permanently.  Normally, the ethernet
connection is a higher priority than the wireless one thus once the connection
is made, you will lose your IP address and most likely lose your Internet
connection.  There are workarounds for this sort of thing but they are not
typically VO friendly.

The connection speed should be quicker than WIFI and depending on your router,
could be slightly quicker then going through it as well.

The problem I see with your design though is that, unless your other Mac is set
up as a server, using it for Time Machine backups is not as easy as it appears.
 My suggestions for this would be to either have some sort of network access
storage either through your existing router (if it supports it), to use a Time
Capsule or Airport Extreme with external HD, or convert your other Mac to a
MacOS Server.  Financially, if your router supports NAS, that's the least
expensive route, purchasing the MacOS Server is only $20 and the most expensive
would be the Airport Extreme or Time Capsule route.  Just because life is never
easy, the less expensive routes are not necessarily the easiest methods to
configure.

Sorry, probably just gave you more questions than answers.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada