I did something similar but all analog with a simple SM58 mic to a small Mackie mixer and from that to the line input of the Mac. Worked fine with the mac doing the analog to digital conversion. As a bonus I had a couple channels on the Mackie to play with so I could add in the iPhone or another Mac's audio. Unfortunatly I don't have access to that mixer anymore as it belonged to somebody else so I picked up a little Art XLR to USB which works well but it lacks a good preamp, so the audio levels are pretty low. I'm thinking about buying a little XLR preamp to fix that up, or I have to speak louder into the mic.

CB