Okay, please don't shoot me for this, but I think it needs to be mentioned.
Sorry, but... why a mac? NVDA on Windows is much cheaper and does just as well
in pretty much everything, even better in some areas (Safari, I'm looking at
you and your lack of a flat representation). I know this is a mac list, and I'm
not saying the mac is bad, but when you can get a reasonably good Windows
laptop for $300, or the basic mac laptop for $1000, and where money is an
issue... well, you see where I'm coming from I hope.
On Dec 2, 2012, at 7:54 AM, Eugenia Firth <gigifi...@me.com> wrote:

> Hi y'all
> I have a blind friend who I think is totally blind, at the very least close
> to it. She's not quite ready yet to get her technology, but she and I have
> agreed we're going to visit that issue in June when I am going to Houston
> where she lives. This friend, in my opinion, needs a Mac or an iPad because
> she can't get training because of you know why and has limited computer
> skills now. Money is an issue for this lady, so we need to get the best for
> her for what she can do.
>
> If she gets a Mac of any variety, she can sign up for one to one training and
> go there once a week if needed. I know there are some issues with this for
> VoiceOver users, but I think if we have a nice talk with the manager we can
> get someone who is willing to work with her who is willing to take some extra
> effort and would consider it fun. Of the two Mac computers, the Mac Mini and
> the MacBook Air, which one would you guys consider the best for a situation
> like hers? If she gets an iPad, she would probably need to rely on her blind
> friends who have iPhones and/or iPads to help her. I don't think this lady
> can take the group classes Apple offers for IOS devices like the iPhone
> because I don't think she could keep up, given her current computer
> knowledge. This lady is in her seventies and has decided to move into the
> 21st century because she is seeing a need for email.
>
> Thanks guys for your opinions on this.
>
> Regards,
> Gigi

Have a great day,