Hi Alex
I did some experimentation this morning with TextEdit. Since I do a lot of work
with TextEdit for my business, I would be concerned if a bug like this
happened. I am not having the same problems you are having with your file. I
tried it with the keyboard and with the menu, and mine worked perfectly.
Therefore, and I have had to do this after an update occurred, maybe you might
want to shut your computer down and restart it again. I have had some weird
things happen after an update. I know this sounds weird, but even though my
computer restarts after the update automatically, I almost always have to do it
again. Usually, the problems I have had after a major update like this one have
had to do with Finder, but I suppose anything could be effected. It can't hurt.

Regards,
Gigi