Here are some things to check since you don't mention whether you knew about or
did anything at these steps. Not trying to insult your intelligence if any of
this sounds obvious to you; just didn't know how close to the beginning to
start.

Did you check to see if you needed to do something in the registration window?
Do you know that there are instructions on icanworkthisthing.com for setting up
vuescan and if so, have you done that? Some may be slightly different now but
for the most part that should work.
Did you check what the tip of the day window said to make sure it was
recognizing your scanner?
If you've done all the above, make sure you can't stop interacting at the
preview button.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth