Hi Bryan,
Yes, AirPlay is much more reliable than bluetooth and works perfectly, assuming
you can get VoiceOver to play via AirPlay in the first place.
NO, unfortunately there's no way to get VoiceOver to default to the built in
output if bluetooth fails. If there were, there wouldn't be a problem. The next
best thing would be if there were a shortcut keystroke to make VoiceOver switch
to the built in sound output, but I know no way of doing this either and so far
Apple has apparently not acted on my request for one. :)
Nic