1.  VO should turn on when you first turn on your Mac.  IF, by some strange
chance it does not, press Cmd+F5.  Know where your command key is?  It’s the
one directly next to the space bar at either side.  Your Option key is the one
directly next to the command key.  How to ensure Voice Over stays on?  Just
don’t turn it off.

How to get help?

IF you press VO+k, this turns on Keyboard help.  Press escape to turn it off.
What I mean by VO is the key combination of control+Option together.  So, if
for example, I tell you to press VO+up arrow, I mean for you to press
control+Option+up arrow all together.

Here’s another tip.  You will be offered the option of starting an interactive
tutorial when Voice OVer starts up for the first time.  go ahead and let this
happen.  In this mode, you will be activly guided through the basics.

With respect to the broadcast program, I’d get the basics down first.  Give
yourself a good two or three weeks for this.

Sent from my Mac, the only computer with full accessibility for the blind
built-in!

Sincerely,
The Constantly Barefooted Ray, still a very happy Mac and Iphone 5 user!