There's no charge for iCloud accounts. Also, you can use a different email
alias for your email address and not use the Gmail username with your mail. so
you can sign into Mail with your me.com address.

You might check out iCloud's webmail site. It's not completely accessible, but
many things can be done within your iCloud account in Mac Mail instead. the
only thing you'll really need to do on the website is set your filters if you
have devices other than the Mac. If you only have the Mac, it would be easier
to set your message rules up locally in Mac Mail.

here's the iCloud webmail site:
http://www.icloud.com/#mail

HtH,
teresa