I have a couple of questions about this.

1. I could leave my gmail account open if I do this and use forwarding through
icloud and keep my gmail address as my Apple ID. If I really wanted to
eventually get rid of gmail, is there a way to change Apple ID that then would
put all of my purchases under the icloud apple id or would I always be having
to sign in with the old gmail id to get those purchases?

2. I found an article that talks about copying your email to cloud folders
(probably talks about copying instead of moving so you don't make a mistake and
then find your mail is gone forever!), then getting what is left in All Mail,
and it talks about going into gmail and making sure your emails only have one
label so you don't get duplicates. Is that still relevant advice and if so, how
do you go about checking on the labels or should one just leave it alone and
let there be duplicates though it would be better not to have them. Here is the
article I found at Lifehacker; it is from 2011.

Article from Lifehacker
You can start fresh with your new iCloud account, but maybe you want access to
your email archives all in one place. In that case, you'll have to migrate your
current Gmail inbox over. It isn't the quickest process, but we've found that
plugging both accounts into an IMAP program--like Apple's Mail--makes it fairly
straightforward. Just make sure you follow the instructions below to the
letter. Read through them first, so you understand what you're doing, and then
go through each step, one by one. If you make a mistake, you could severely
confuse your iCloud inbox and have to start over. Here's what you'll want to
do:P

        * First, set up both Gmail and iCloud in Mail.app. Setting up Gmail is
easy, and creating a new iCloud email address is as simple as going into System
Preferences > iCloud, signing in with your Apple ID, and creating a new Mail
account. It should show up in Mail when you're done.
        * Let Mail download all your messages. You'll see all your Gmail labels
set up as folders. Note that iCloud doesn't use labels like Gmail does, so
you'll need to go into Gmail and make sure all of your messages are assigned
only one label--otherwise, you'll get duplicate messages in your iCloud account.
        * When you're ready to migrate, head into Mail.app and click on Gmail's
"Sent Messages" folder. Go to Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Sent. Repeat
this process with the Deleted Messages folder as well.
        * Now, you're ready to start moving messages over. Start with the
inbox. Go to Gmail's inbox in Mail.app and select all the messages within.
Right-click on them and hit Copy To > Inbox > iCloud. This should copy all
those messages over to iCloud's inbox. Do not drag and drop the messages; that
will remove them from Gmail, which we do not want yet.
        * Repeat this process for each of your user-created folders--that is,
all your Gmail "labels" except All Mail, Important, Starred, and Spam. Create a
new folder on the iCloud account (by right-clicking on the iCloud inbox and
hitting "New Mailbox), click on the corresponding folder from your Gmail
account, select all the messages, and copy them to the new iCloud folder. Be
sure to copy over all your sent messages, too, even though they're a
Gmail-created folder! Note that if one of your folders is particularly big, you
may run into some errors when copying messages. If you get an error, delete all
the messages in the iCloud folder you're trying to fill and try the copy again.
After another try or two, it should work.
        * When you're done, you should have a good portion of your messages
migrated to the iCloud account. The only messages missing will be the ones that
didn't have a label, and weren't in your inbox or sent messages folder. To
migrate these, we'll need to delete everything we've migrated so far, and move
them from the "All Mail" folder into a new "Archive" folder in iCloud. So, go
back to your Sent Messages, Inbox, and other user-created labels and delete all
those messages--using the Mail.app interface--from your Gmail account.
        * Lastly, copy everything from the All Mail folder in to iClouds
Archive folder, as you did with the other folders. When you're done, your inbox
should look just like it did in Gmail, and you're ready to start using iCloud
Mail.
If you want to undelete those messages from your Gmail account just in case,
you can head to the Gmail web interface, select all the messages in your Trash,
and move them to your inbox. Then, re-archive them all in case you want to move
back to Gmail later

Thanks.

--
Cheryl

I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
thrown in the trash!
Then God gave me a new heart and life:
His joy for my despairing tears!
And now, every day: