On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 10:49:38PM +0200, Razvan Dragomirescu wrote:
> This looks to me like a memory issue, there's very little RAM available when
> the device starts, even before I load anything, "free" reports
>
>               total         used         free       shared      buffers
>   Mem:        61828        60068         1760            0          244
>  Swap:            0            0            0
> Total:        61828        60068         1760
>
> So there's less than 2 MB of memory available?? The device is advertised as
> having 64MB of RAM, but how can I increase the amount that's actually
> available to applications?

You can't think of "free" as the only amount of free memory in the
system.  The 2.6 kernel will try to suck up all available memory if it
possibly can for it's internal caches.  If memory is needed by other
things (like programs) it is easily given back.

About all free is good for these days is to see that you have a swap
device (or not) working, and if you have a kernel memory leak.

hope this helps,

greg k-h