On 4/26/06, Frantisek Dufka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> All the decoding is done by the DSP. This is IMO bad design choice for
> (advanced) video. DSP is simply overused and too slow for this. When
> playing the ice age trailer you can notice with load applet that CPU
> sits almost idle while DSP is struggling to decode everything. This
> makes sense for backgroung sound playback, but not for video. You hardly
> play video on the background :-)

I think we should have modular options to use DSP, one to decode in
DSP, other to decode and show...

DSP makes sense to decode since it have some useful instructions, like
float point instrs, but it's not good to do everything, as for
x-refresh sync we can see tearing while viewing videos using Maemo
Video Player, what could be avoided by using double buffer and blits
handled by main CPU.

Also, with this we could use CPU to do some overlays, like OSD.

But I wouldn't go with everything on CPU since GUI would become too
unresponsive and maybe battery would drain (just guessing here).

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri