There seem to be numerous applications for maemo and I can't figure out
how/where to easily load them. I'm not too familiar with maemo
repositories/syntax or debian commands (used mostly rpm from redhat).

All that is present after flashing is xterm, gnu helloworld and some other app
which escapes me at the moment.

1. Shouldn't Application Manager allow me to download original applications
that came with device? (opera, etc.). How do I go about at least adding Opera
and GoogleTalk application. Do I need to build these in sdk and deploy to
device or can I do direct download? What are targets I need to specify or url
of docs for this?

2. If there are no applications (to speak of) after flashing...why is there
"Messenger" icon on desktop with many menuitems and no apps hooked up to
it...is this part of core ui hildon framework?

3. Is the ApplicationManager just gui around apt-get?

4. Why is there no mention of root password for n800. I couldn't use apt-get
due to not being root and got warning message about same. Is the intent that
developers only be "root" on sdk machine where they build apps for deploy to
device? And that on device you should just use Application Manager?

I think Nokia dev docs are missing section after flashing on "root/user"
accounts and passwords. I found in older maemo2 docs the concept of these 2
user accounts.

5. Upon visiting Maemo garage repository and wanting to download some
apps...they all seem to have different install instructions and in some case no
instructions...downloading binary directly to browser.

Is the scheme as follows? If they state is available as DEB package then just
use ApplicationManager to install from file after downloading to
device....otherwise if they give repository fields then fill in using
ApplicationManager?

    *

      *Applet CPU/Mem/Screenshot applet*

            How to install: from repository [WWW]
            http://repository.maemo.org/extras with Application Manager

Take the above example (applet cpu). It says to use ApplicationManager to
install applet...yet I never saw this app as download option even before I
flashed N800. Trying to add above url to ApplicationManager manually fails
during update with no message shown.

It seems many application in garage don't fully specify repository fields
correctly for inclusion in Application Manager. Some don't list certain fields,
etc.