On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 12:07:33 +0200, pancake wrote:
> The past week I released a gpl-licensed flasher for both Nokia
> Internet Tablets.

Fantastic!

I've been very much looking forward to the time where there would be
instructions for downloading an entirely Free flasher and Free image
to flash to bring the unit into a bootable state from scratch.

So this addresses an essential missing piece in that.

What else might be missing?

What elements go into the Nokia fiasco image that cannot be built from
Free source?

Of those, which must not be left out in order to have a bootable
device?

And of those, which do not come with a license that at least allows
for re-distribution?

If there's anything left at this point, then it's going to be really
hard for the community to make any progress at supporting a Free
operating system on this device.

Or did the announcement of 0xFFFF suggest that it can extract some of
these elements from the device itself so that re-distribution outside
of the device wouldn't strictly be needed?

If there's nothing left at this point, then we can ask what
functionality would be missing from a device booted with an image
created in this way. And that should give the community a todo list if
more work is desired to maintain this, (or a decision to look
elsewhere for cute hardware suitable for running Free operating
systems).

-Carl