Hi Riku,

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 16:53 +0300, ext Riku Voipio wrote:
> Why would that need python support *in* the platform?

Let me explain why full Python support in the maemo roadmap has little
to do with (improvable) install files or repositories. In fact it's all
about official commitment.

I started writing here but I ended up writing a blog post since people
not in this list might be interested as well:

Implications of "Full Python support" in the maemo roadmap
http://desdeamericaconamor.org/blog/node/372

Pasting for convenience:

There has been some discussion in maemo-developers about the fact that
"Full Python support" is in the maemo plans according to the roadmap.
Python has been partially and increasingly supported in maemo. Some of
the most original and recognized maemo applications are Python based.

Python is actually quite well supported in maemo. However, this "Full"
in the official maemo roadmap makes a big difference:

      * Having Python preinstalled in the Nokia Internet Tablets is a
        statement saying 'we want to make development for these devices
        easy'.
      * Any software inside a Nokia device needs to go through a process
        of quality assurance and testing. This means official guarantee
        to end users and third party developers.
      * If Nokia says Python is fully supported in maemo it means that
        all the API relevant to the Internet Tablets needs to be
        supported and updated in every release.
      * It also means that Python documentation needs to be accordingly
        provided and maintained.
      * Also, official support opens the door to other possibilities
        inside Nokia i.e. training materials and courses lead by Forum
        Nokia.
      * Having Python officially supported might be an interesting
        feature for a specific market niche.
      * Last but not least, maemo supporting officially Python is also a
        step forward in the context of the GNOME Mobile & Embedded
        stack: we are telling our neighbors how important Python
        applications, bindings and documentation are for our platform,
        opening yet another possibility for collaboration.

I guess the Python community also sees the difference of commitment.
Said all this, Python lovers will need to be a bit patient. We will keep
improving significantly Python support during the Chinook and Diablo
release cycles, but it is still unclear when this fullness will be
achieved.

--
Quim Gil - http://maemo.org