Koen Kooi wrote:
> The big problem is that hildon depends on an old, forked version of gtk+ that
> nobody in
> their right mind wants on their x86 systems. The nokia people at guadec were
> unable to
> give me an ETA on when that will be fixed :(

Guadec of what year? :P

http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/x11/hildon-desktop

looks like a recent enough non-forked gtk to me...[1]
>> One day we will anyway be
>> running debian/stable with a few custom components on the tablets.
>>

> You mean switching back to OABI?

unofficial[2] Debian EABI port is pretty much ready for what
tablet's would need from it. D-I, java (argh, but being worked on)
and FORTRAN (Argh!!) are the main incomplete things, but they
do not really touch tablet usage.

What _is_ missing for tablet usage is free UI's for selected things
(input, wifi/bluetooth network connectivity etc), which I expect
the Ubuntu mobile people already be working on.

[1] Well it's still patched but the patches are included in mainstream
distros' gtk and being integrated upstream.
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2007/07/msg00076.html