On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 11:09 +0100, David Hazel wrote:
> >I put the executable on the memory card, copy it to my home directory
> >and run it. You'll need xterm on the 800 to do this.
>
> Question 1: How do I get a version of xterm that will run on the N800?
> Question 2: How do I install it to the N800?
>
> I'll need fairly detailed instructions for each of the above, I'm afraid. I
> did try to download what purported to be an Openssh client for the N800
> yesterday, but all I got was a file called openssh-client.install, and no
> clues as to what I was supposed to do with it.

Open the .install file on the N800, and Application Manager will open
and install it for you.  If you read the .install file in a text editor
you'll see that it just specifies repositories and package names.

The dropbear ssh client/server and a terminal are available from
maemo-hackers.org.  Open the install file under "bora/it2007" at
http://maemo-hackers.org/wiki/OssoXterm on your N800 and the terminal
will be installed.  Then in Application Manager you can install the
dropbear client and server.

> I did once try putting my executable onto a memory card. However, I wasn't
> able to run it even though I thought I had built it for the right target
> (which is ARMEL, I assume?) and the version I built for X86 runs (almost)
> fine on Scratchbox.

I believe memory cards are mounted noexec, and are vfat anyway.  Copy
the file to the home directory and chmod +x it.

> (I say "almost" because the emulator doesn't appear to
> be all that close an emulation of the target environment. It apparently
> can't simulate the presence of memory cards or give me an internet
> connection, both of which are central to what my application is trying to
> do.)

You can get to the internet from inside a scratchbox, you probably need
to fix /etc/resolv.conf.  It defaults to 127.0.0.1 which is wrong unless
you run a local name server or cache.

Memory cards are just mounted file systems, you can simulate those
exactly by using a USB card reader.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                          jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]