2007/8/26, Tony Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 18:03:41 +0100
> > From: David Hazel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: General Maemo/Scratchbox/N800 help
> > To: maemo-developers@maemo.org
>
> > > - transferring files etc. to the N800, for example to test software
> >
> > I put the executable on the memory card, copy it to my home directory
> > and run it. You'll need xterm on the 800 to do this.
>
> Perhaps I could suggest Openssh as an easier solution? (especially if like me
> you don't have a card reader for your desktop machine)

The usb cable makes the mmc/sd card accessible on your PC, so you
don't need a card reader.

> It's available on the Maemo repository, though it's a bit fiddly to install
> because you have to enable "red pill" mode on your device (there are
> instructions on how to do this at
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/maemo/users/26247)

Why is this better than dropbear (which installs without fiddeling).
Use it from the start and works perfectly (when copied a
.ssh/authorized_keys on the device)

(btw David. the copy command is called 'scp')

Hm, maybe we should start a Wiki page 'Getting started with Linux
using N880/N770' ...

> Once you've set up public/private key-pairs, copying files between machines is
> a simple one-line command.
>
> ...and handily, having ssh on the tablet provides a way of getting root on it,
> since "su" doesn't play simply issue
> "ssh -l root localhost"
> Then give it the root password when it prompts you (I can't remember what it
> is, but Google will find it).

And don't forget to change it :-) with 'passwd' after logged in the first time

Br,

Koos