Okay, so I ripped out gstreamer and put in OSSO Media Server code.

The thing I've noticed is that there's a distinct pause of about 1 second in
my code when you start a new song playing.  I didn't have this issue with
gstreamer (though the other issues with gstreamer far outweigh the new
problem.)

Without using threads it was nearly a 2.5 second pause, so using a thread
helped.  For a media player app this wouldn't be a problem, but for a game,
it's murder.  I've run cProfile and it says there's only a .02 second delay
in the send_cmd function, but there's a definite pause in user input of
about one second.

I'm going through all this pain because the pygame sound routines can't use
the Maemo sound hardware...