On Thursday 01 November 2007, Quim Gil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are near to implement user karma in maemo.org. Like most karma
> systems, it is used as a nice add-on to promote and show off those
> investing time and energies in the project.
I really like the concept of proving some carrot for people to stop lurking
and start contirbuting.

> - your wiki pages (created only, edited would take too much resources to
> scan - sorry).
Please do not count wiki creates unless you can count edits too. Adding wiki
creates causes some issues:
1) It is easy to create useless pages for karma gobbling
2) It makes the creation of a new page more 'desirable' than fixing an old out
of date page. Which in-turn disorganizes the wiki
3)It is too easy to just throw up information that is wrong/not enough and
does not benefit the real troppers who updatre wiki pages.

Being a project admin myself, I find the real heroes are the people who fix
the wiki, not the ones who create the page in the first place. Keeping a wiki
up-to-date is hard and a group effort.
I reccommend we dgive karma to editors also, or no one at all with respect to
the wiki.

Just my luriking 2 cents.

Brian