On Friday 02 November 2007, Quim Gil wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 17:54 -0400, ext Brian Waite wrote:
> > Please do not count wiki creates unless you can count edits too. Adding
> > wiki creates causes some issues:
>
> Hum. You are right about the issues.
>
> Henri can provide details, but basically the problem with wiki edits is
> that processing all of them takes just too much time (and resources?)
>
> On the other hand, if cheating by creating new wiki pages is easy, it is
> not more difficult to cheat with wiki edits. It's also easy to cheat
> with ranks, favs and buries. Not that difficult to cheat sending emails
> to mailing lists. Even creating Garage projects. And even creating
> Downloads pages about products that are just command line tools
> recompiled.
>
> At the end all this helps only cheating yourself. If this cheating
> helps you only being in the position 693 instead of 6930 you will
> probably be still unnoticed karma-wise. If you are clever enough to
> reach position 69 or 7 then a) your own exposure might work against you
> or b) in fact you deserve that karma.  ;)
Ok my bad cheating should not have been #1. As we are not in a competition, it
really doesn't matter, and I fear this clouded my point a bit.

Premise: The Karma system is intended to give a bit of prestige to people who
contirbute. Basically karma systems use ego to persue the common good, in
this case more maemo content.

When applied to the wiki it means that it is better* to create new pages then
update another page. The worst thing you can do in a wiki is create a page
that is almost like another. No one knows which is right or wrong or new or
old. Wiki's tend to becomes very cluttered very quickly.

I understand the huge compute power to compute karma based on edits. I also
understand the desire to hang the karma carrot in front of the wiki, but  I
feel that wiki karma will do the opposite as its intent. I think it will
begin to dilute the qualitry of the wiki.

That said. It does not solve world peace so I won't waste much bandwidth. I
rellay appreciae all the efforts Qim and Nokia have put into this communtity.

Thanks
Brian

* Karma-wise and thus ego wise