On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 09:09 +0100, ext Tim Teulings wrote:
> > So far alsmost nobody really followed up with 'yes,
> > that'd be great, [let's] do it!' message :)
>
> I think that is the main problem. The discussion is long (and so are its
> single mails), but the number of participants is rather low (in relation
> for example to the number of accounts in garage).

But this is a known issue in any participative context. Let's move
forward.

- The creation of extras-devel is a fact. It will come soon.

- The consideration of extras as default and main repository for third
party software is also a fact in OS2008.

- maemo R&D and testing is going to include extras (and only extras) in
their use cases and requirements.

The the quality equation at the end is not so complicated:

Nokia is going to pay more attention to the applications getting more
visibility at http://maemo.org/downloads . In a perfect world all
applications should have perfect quality but hey, if those at the top
have gone throough proper checks and tests, then fair enough. At the end
these are the ones that are going to be considered by nokia.com,
marketing, customer care...

If that limited set of selected applications are great and work
flawlessly like a charm all the maemo platform will benefit. If they are
difficult to install and get them working, if they are poorly designed,
not documented, drain batteries, brick devices and so on... the whole
maemo platform will suffer from the complaints and bad reports.

We will do our best making sure that the apps on the top are in good
condition and reflect the best maemo developers have to offer. Wee
recommend you to do the best.

This is something that can be applied today: just go to Downloads and
rate & comment up/down what rocks/sucks - providing testing details and
opinions to the developers to improve their stuff.

In the meantime we can continue working on the tough and technical part
of developer tools and quality processes.

--
Quim Gil - http://maemo.org