> If the DSP in not the limitation, then the N800 could be used for a
> funny project I have now in my head. I there any documentation on how to
>   program a Linux application to use some existing DSP tasks available
> on the N800? I am interesting about the MP3 decoder and a pair of low
> bandwidth coder/decoder like G711, G729 or ILBC.

There is source available for the ARM-side part of the gstreamer sinks
(http://repository.maemo.org/pool/chinook/free/source/g/gst-plugins-dsp0.10/).
That should show you how to use the dsp tasks.

There's a fundamental problem though, the mp3 dsp task sends its data
directly to the audio codec (hardware) on the DSP-side, therefore
you're probably not going to be able to access the raw data to
reencode it as something else (unless it is also exposed in a buffer
in shared memory).

I am debugging an mp3 dsptask at the moment, so you may yet have
something to play with at some point in the near future if you can't
get the built-in tasks to work as you wish.

Cheers,

Simon