On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 16:23 +0300, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am sorry to announce that the 'unstable' Sardine distribution of the
> Hildon Desktop is dead.  It's corpse is being removed: the buildbot will
> be shut down, and the repositories will be removed from the servers.
>
> We didn't manage to make it useful enough to justify keeping it alive.
>
> Of course, the source code of the packages that have been built for
> Sardine continues to be developed in real-time in the open, and you can
> in fact expect more projects to be freed over time.
>
> Most of the projects are developed on stage.maemo.org:
>
>     https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/projects/haf/trunk/
>
> Should anyone be interested, the Sardine machinery is hosted in the
> maemo garage:
>
>     https://garage.maemo.org/projects/sardine/
>
> So long, and thanks for all the fish!

This is sad. There's a big need to have a real unstable distribution so
that application developers can adapt to new versions of Maemo before
they are released. Or at least some beta releases.

The problem with Sardine was that it didn't work, because Nokia didn't
use it. If only Nokia and the outside world could use the same
repository (with a few secret extras for the Nokia people) then life
would be much simpler for everyone, including Nokia and it's
sub-contractors.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.murrayc.com