En/na Dave Cridland ha escrit:

> Tinymail is good - if Luca upgrades his IMAP server to Cyrus 2.3, he'll
> see a big speed increase from both Modest and Polymer, I think.

I'm too old for that, now I stick with whatever version comes with the
distro.
However mulberry manages quite well with my current version of cyrus,
*however* I don't use it. Why? Because mozilla is "good enough" and
where I'd need mulberry paradigm is on the tablet, not on the desktop
(where I have megabytes to spare for the cache and the initial sync is
not as painful).
When I finally flash diablo I take a look at telomer.

>> The right direction would be a guy like Dave together with me writing a
>> nice Tinymail-API like library, and the guys who wrote Modest adapting
>> that UI to use that.
>>
>> Who knows, some day? ;-)
>>

> But sadly, probably never. I see Luca's complaining about Polymer being

I was not actually complaining, but I found it strange not to have basic
options like sorting and threading (since I'm an asocial geek ;-), the
bulk of my messages are from mailing list, so threading is vital).
Again, mulberry manages threading fine with my version of the server
(though my tiny server is an arm processor not much more powerful than
the tablet, so threading is slow, but not due to network
latency/bandwith usage).

> "too basic" - which makes me giggle a bit - but that's because Polymer
> essentially won't offer anything in the UI unless it can do so quickly
> and effectively. There is no compromise, and it's not helped by me being
> rather crap at UI design. (Polymer gets a lot more user-friendly if you
> tell it to colourise the display, but doing so is a bit of a dark art,
> since I never got around to writing the UI. Everyone can type in IMAP
> SEARCH criteria, into largely unlabelled dialogs, right?)
>
> But it means there's no threaded display, not because I didn't want to,
> or because I can't, but because threading is quite (or exceedingly) slow
> over low-bandwidth, so it's a feature that has to go - if the server
> supports THREAD it's helped a lot, but not enough to make it work on the
> kinds of mailboxes Polymer can normally handle comfortably.

See above, mulberry seems to manage fine

[...]

> Also, because of the lack of threading, it has a "thread up" navigation
> button to help make up for that.

I'll see if it's enough for me.

Bye
--