Hi,

Thank your for your prompt answer.

2008/7/28 Dave Neary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hi,
>
> Javier Gálvez Guerrero wrote:
> > I want to develop a mobile IPTV application, so I need a mobile platform
> > to do it on.
> >
> > After considering Android and Moblin I got into Maemo and I would like
> > to know which advantages offers over the other options.
>
> Actually, moblin and Maemo are very similar platforms. moblin is based
> on the same GNOME Mobile stack, and also includes Hildon (or it did
> until recently).

Yes, I knew this, but Moblin needs from Ubuntu Mobile Edition and viceversa
and Maemo seems to be a more global independent platform in this sense,
doesn't it?

> For an IPTV application, you probably have all you need in just the
> GNOME Mobile stack - GStreamer, GTK+, Xorg, libxml2...

Great. So I just need to develop my application using these native libraries
with the Maemo SDK and load into the device.

> > More specifically, what I need to develop are two applications: a
> > seamless wireless connection daemon manager and a mobile IPTV service
> > client. In order to implement the first, I need to get some information
> > from the WiFi/3G/WiMAX drivers, such as signal strength and essid name.
> > For the mobile IPTV I would need to develop a GUI with an embedded video
> > player and parse XML files.
>
> For hardware information, you will always be device-specific. With the
> Nokia internet tablets, you have a well defined interface for wifi and
> wimax (with N810 Wimax editions), but these interfaces are not part of
> Maemo (or, as far as I know, moblin).

It seems that with Internet Connectivity API and others I can get some
information. What I really need is quite simple. Basically, I need to get
the signal strength fluctuations and scan the radio interface for available
access points or points or attachement. I supposed that I was able to get
this kind information from the specific hardware devices as it would make no
sense to provide with this API if they can not be used. Are these APIs for
what I think they are?

> > Any piece of advice will be much appreciated as I have been reading some
> > documentation and how-to's but I have some serious doubts about Maemo
> > development as you can see.
>
> Good luck! I hope you find the information you're looking for.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave.

Thank you a lot. Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Javi