(Oops, I suck at reply-all in gmail, apparently.)

Eero Tamminen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>> Just noticed that "Personal launcher" applet (latest v0.6-4 in extras)
>>> leaks like mad and updates the screen uselessly at high frequency.
>>>
>>> Because it's an applet within the Desktop process which allocations are
>>> guaranteed, it will cause device to run out of memory very soon.  Result
>>> is that other applications start aborting and device will slow down to
>>> crawl.  Constant screen updates (even when screen is blanked) drain
>>> the battery.
>>>
>>> Could this be kicked out of extras so that people don't "launch" their
>>> devices to oblivion?
>>
>> I guess it would be preferable, if possible in a timely manner, for it
>> to be kicked out by an updated version that doesn't misbehave
>
> It's leaking 8MB/min, updates screen constantly even when screen is
> blanked and crashes desktop when disabled.  Project with this bad QA
> should IMHO just be kicked out of extras.

8MB/min *blink*?! That's ...not that many minutes :)

> (Personally I'd like there to be some kind of quick testing before
> things get into extras.)
>
>> -- but I
>> don't see a bugreport on the issue in the project's garage (alas)
>> tracker. *nudge*
>
> I didn't try this myself and I'm not using it myself so I couldn't
> verify the fix.

fwiw, I don't think reporter-verifiability is enough of a concern here
to not file bugs -- people finding out about issues seems more
important. (provided your source is good enough for confident
reporting, which it must be, given this thread)

't.