I use vi. I have not had the pleasure of learning Emacs. For my
understanding, is it possible to define a list of files or directories in a
project and then search for instances of used variables and how they are
used? Same question for functions. I did a quick google search and didn't
find either of these capabilities illustrated. I see color syntax support. I
know vi has auto indentation and I assume emacs does as well but can they go
as far as selecting blocks of code and auto indent?

thanks,
Frank