Matan Ziv-Av wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Quim Gil wrote:
>
>> What we shouldn't do is to create extras-testing or extras and let
>> packages jump in without the QA process in place. Taking a buggy package
>> out because of a new policy is going to be much more complicated.
>
> Let's see:
>
> Just a few months ago there was a great effort to close external
> repositories and move everything to extras repositrory.
You may mean "extras family of repositories.
ie extras, extras-testing and extras-devel

> Extras repository was open for everyone.
Still is.
So is extras-devel

And users now know that extras has QA and extras-devel or extras-testing is less
 stable.

> Now you suddenly change the rules and ask developers to jump thru who
> knows how many hoops to get packages to extras. That does not improve
> my confidence in the way Nokia manages maemo.

Err, could you please stop giving Nokia all the credit for the maturity of the
community.

Maemo is growing up and wants users to have some confidence that the app they
just installed won't crash their tablet.

If they don't then extras-devel is still the wild-west.

> How about leaving extras as is, and setting up a new repository called

nokia_approved_applications_if_you_install_packages_from_another_repository_the_world_will_end
> where you do whatever QA you want to do.

The repository you want:
maemo_unapproved_applications_if_you_install_packages_from_this_repository_the_world_may_end

is called extras-devel; feel free to add it to your sources.list

David

--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."