On May 1, 2009, at 15:06, Matan Ziv-Av wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Quim Gil wrote:
>
>> What we shouldn't do is to create extras-testing or extras and let
>> packages jump in without the QA process in place. Taking a buggy
>> package
>> out because of a new policy is going to be much more complicated.
>
> Let's see:
>
> Just a few months ago there was a great effort to close external
> repositories and move everything to extras repositrory. Extras
> repository was open for everyone.
> Now you suddenly change the rules and ask developers to jump thru who
> knows how many hoops to get packages to extras. That does not improve
> my confidence in the way Nokia manages maemo.

Matan, we are working hard to make sure that maemo.org is open to
everyone, users and developers. There are not going to be any rule
changes, hopefully just some mechanisms to improve the quality of
packages so that end users can rest assured that if they install
something from extras they will not have to re-flash their tablet. I
think you would agree that is reasonable and fair.

> How about leaving extras as is, and setting up a new repository called
> nokia_approved_applications_if_you_install_packages_from_another_repository_the_world_will_end
> where you do whatever QA you want to do.

I assure you that the repositories are going to be an excellent place
for your software. Nokia and maemo.org are really committed to doing
the best for users and for developers and I really feel strongly about
that - that is not just lip service.

Regards,

Jeremiah