On May 5, 2009, at 15:41, Quim Gil wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Let me start again because I don't think this downstream-upstream
> relationship is relevant to define hhis extras QA process.
>
> Proof: if an application in extras has been demoted because of a
> severe
> bug in a library it's the maintainer of that app the main
> responsible of
> finding a solution.

Another problem with this is the fact that a lot of the packages in
Maemo have debian developers as their maintainer address. I strongly
suspect whoever packaged these packages for maemo did not put their
email address in the maintainer field, despite the fact that the
packaging policy explicit says they have to. For example, the package
"chrpath" has Tollef Fog Heen's debian email address - did he in fact
package this for maemo? Or was this just ported without change?

So if we email the maintainer of this package, he'll probably say;
"What? I never uploaded anything to the maemo repositories?" Now we
have a package without a maintainer. A lot of users might be
inconvenienced if all of a sudden important libraries like libcairomm
get removed because the maemo packager cannot be found.

Jeremiah